Advocate with The International Association of Blacks in Dance, Inc.
IABD uses it voice to advocate for policies benefiting the Black dance and the wider arts and culture sectors.
Anyone and Everyone should advocate. Being an arts advocate is as easy as reaching out to your representatives at the local, state or federal level.
IABD is a member of the Performing Arts Alliance, the Coalition of Performing Arts Advocates. The Alliance is a coalition of national performing arts service organizations dedicated to advocating for national policies that recognize, enhance, and foster the contributions the performing arts make to America. Founding members include the Association of Performing Arts Professionals, Dance/USA, the League of American Orchestras, OPERA America and Theatre Communications Group. Members include American Composers Forum, Chorus America, National Alliance for Musical Theatre, National Association of Latino Arts and Culture, National Performance Network, New Music America, The International Association of Blacks in Dance and Chamber Music America. Together we advocate effectively on issues that specifically affect the performing arts and approach all our efforts through a performing arts lens.
We encourage everyone to visit the Performing Arts Alliance website and to join our advocacy network in order to receive Action Alerts that will inform you as to when and how to make your voice heard!
IABD is Involved in Key Arts Advocacy Issues:
IABD Advocates for Dance by Providing Its Members:
- Electronic arts-related Action Alerts prompting immediate action
- Policy updates provided in the Advocacy Pages of the IABD website
- Tools and resources for advocacy
WHAT YOU CAN DO NOW
- Pay attention to how your local and state legislators and school board members vote, and tell them that you believe the arts are a vital part of your community and schools.
- Attend and promote arts events in your community
- Organize arts events for your community
We encourage you to visit the following websites to learn more about the importance of advocating for the arts and what you can do to help.
In addition, IABD provides:
- Written testimony
- Close working relationships with other arts advocacy organizations and coalitions, such as Americans for the Arts, the Cultural Advocacy Group, and other groups dedicated to government support of the arts.
The Arts Sector and COVID-19 Relief - May 2020