IABD 2020


Frequently Asked Questions | 2020 International Conference and Festival

Q: What is the purpose of this Conference and Festival?

A: The International Association of Blacks in Dance (IABD) is dedicated to preserving and promoting dance by people of African ancestry or origin, and assists and increases opportunities for artists in networking, funding, performance, education, audience development, philosophical dialogue, touring and advocacy. IABD is a membership based association, that provides a network, formal newsletters, choreographers directory, published papers and is the raison d’tre for the Annual International Conference and Festival. The Association also responds to and initiates dialogue around issues that impact the Black Dance Community as well as the community at large.

Q: Do I have to be a member of the IABD in order to attend the Conference and Festival?

A: No, you don’t however, IABD members do receive discounted conference registration.

Q: What are the benefits of membership to the IABD?

A: For full details concerning IABD membership, please visit the Membership section of this website.

Q: What can I expect at the Conference and Festival?

A: Four to five awe inspiring days filled with master classes, panels, workshops, lecture demonstrations, and performances from internationally renowned companies, off-site activities, a multi-company audition in modern contemporary dance and ballet, networking events and being surrounded by your peers and pioneers of the Black Dance Community.

Q: How can I register for the Conference and Festival?

A: IABD will be processing all Conference Registrations. Please contact them directly at (301) 755-0831. You can purchase full conference registrations through the website - www.iabdassociation.org.

Q: Who can attend this Conference and Festival?

A: Anyone and everyone who is passionate about Dance. The fact that you are on IABD’s website would certainly put you in that category, don’t you think? The Board of Directors is calling on the IABD Membership to be an essential part of the Welcoming Committee for our national and international guests. We need to present them with our most gracious selves, which naturally leads to our need for experienced Volunteers. If you are interested in volunteering at the Conference and Festival please complete the volunteer application, contact our offices and/or email us, at programs@iabdassociation.org and please put volunteer in the title of your message. Thank you kindly!

Q: Can I take pictures and videos while at the Conference and Festival?

A: Recording by any means (photographing, streaming, audio taping or video taping) of any presentations, classes or sessions at the Conference and Festival is prohibited, except by an authorized agent for official purposes. Violators risk confiscation of their equipment and/or will be removed from the premises.

By entering the event premises, you consent to interviews, photography, audio recordings, video recordings and their release, publication, exhibition, or reproduction to be used for news, Web casts, promotional purposes, telecasts, advertising, inclusion on websites, or any other purpose by IABD and Philadanco and its affiliates and representatives. You release IABD and Philadanco, its officers and employees, and each and all persons involved from any liability connected with the taking, recording, digitizing, or publication of interviews, photographs, computer images, video and/or or sound recordings.

By entering the event premises, you waive all rights you may have to any claims for payment or royalties in connection with any exhibition, streaming, Web casting, televising, or other publication of these materials, regardless of the purpose or sponsoring of such exhibiting, broadcasting, Web casting, or other publication irrespective of whether a fee for admission or sponsorship is charged. You also waive any right to inspect or approve any photo, video, or audio recording taken by IABD and Philadanco or the person or entity designated to do so by IABD and Philadanco.

Q: Who has access to my personal information?

A: Participant contact information will be part of a database only accessible to the International Association of Blacks in Dance.

Q: What documents are required to enter into the United States?

A: The United States has one of the most advanced customs organizations in the world, and our borders and the processes we have in place to manage them are critical to our ability to provide Americans and visitors to America with the security and opportunity they expect. Visitors entering the United States must clear US Customs border security upon entry.

Visitors traveling by air require a valid passport to re-enter the United States.

As of June 1, 2009, all individuals are required to hold a valid passport to enter/re-enter the United States.

For more information on travel security and border procedures, visit the U.S. Department of State.

International Visitors: For specific information on travel documents required to visit the United States from countries other than the U.S., please refer to  www.cbp.gov.

A foreign national or alien entering the U.S. is generally required to present a passport and valid visa issued by a U.S. Consular Official, unless they are a citizen of a country eligible for the  Visa Waiver Program, or are a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. or a citizen of Canada. The Visa Waiver Program allows foreign nationals from certain countries to be admitted to the U.S. under limited conditions and for a limited time without obtaining a visa. The foreign national must arrive on an approved carrier (if coming by air or sea), staying no more than 90 days, for pleasure/ medical purposes/ business, and be able to prove they are not inadmissible. The foreign national is still required to have a passport. To obtain a list of countries eligible for the Visa Waiver Program, please reference the Department of State Web site.

Q: What are the regulations about bringing children into the United States?

A: Flying into the United States: All  children and infants will require a passport, with the exception of Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs), refugees, and asylees, who will continue to be able to use their Alien Registration Card (Form I-551), issued by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), or other valid evidence of permanent residence status or refugee or asylee status to apply for entry to the United States.

U.S. and Canadian citizen infants will not require passports for  travel by land or sea when the June 1, 2009 rule went into effect requiring all land and sea  travelers to have a passport. Children under the age of 15 have a blanket exemption from this requirement – although they are required to present a copy of a birth certificate and, if not traveling with both parents, a consent letter from the other parent(s). Please see Q&A number 268, (key word “Children“) for more information.

Driving into the United States: If you have not yet received a birth certificate for a U.S. or Canadian citizen infant, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will accept either the birth record issued by the hospital, a letter on hospital letterhead or a letter from the doctor who delivered the child providing details of the birth, including the name of the child, time and place of birth, and parents names. Birth certificates should be used for children over 1 year old. Infants and  children from countries other than Canada and the U.S. should have a passport.

Q: What is the official language of the United States?

A: The official language of the United States is English. In addition, another top language spoken in the United States is Spanish.

Q: What is the official currency of the United States?

A: The United States’ currency is the American dollar.

Q: What is the standard tipping rate in the United States?

A: Dining and other services have standard rates in the United States.