:: 31st Annual International Conference and Festival of Blacks in Dance ::
January 22 – 27, 2019 | Dayton, OH
in partnership with Dayton Contemporary Dance Company
INTERNATIONAL CALLS FOR PROPOSALS AND PERFORMANCES
International Constituents (outside of the U.S.), you are invited to submit a proposal for the 31st Annual International Conference and Festival of Blacks in Dance. The conference and festival brings together participants from around the world, offering panel discussions, innovative research, film screenings, hands-on workshops, and demonstrations in dance. The goal of the conference and festival is to bring together participants from around the world to learn from the experiences and activities of one another, enriching their professional lives.
This year’s conference and festival theme is Etched in Stone: Resilient Through Time. Proposers should attempt to address this theme in their proposals, highlighting where the theme is addressed. We are very interested in your research and practice in the field of dance. The Annual International Conference and Festival is a time to recognize and celebrate the many ways we are leading in teaching and learning dance.
The Annual International Conference and Festival provides a unique opportunity for the sharing of research and experiences as we advance our field and promote learning opportunities for us all. Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
- Closing the gap between Academia and Black Concert Dance
- Dancing Identities: Race, Gender, Sexuality, Class
- Funding and the role of the Philanthropist
- Globality / Community / International Dialogues and Collaborative Opportunities with Africa, Australia, Canada, the Caribbean, Europe, and other countries/continents
- Leveraging greater Administrative/Management and Technical Positions in the field of Dance
- Practice / Choreography
- Preservation / History of our Dances
- Teaching, Learning, Pedagogy
- The role of Digital and Social Media in Dance
- Training our Youth - On Stage and Behind the Scenes
DEADLINE FOR PROPOSAL: April 30, 2018
CONFIRMATIONS SENT: May 11, 2018
All presentations are limited to 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Click Here to Apply for the International Call for Proposals
International Constituents (outside of the U.S.), you are invited to submit a performance proposal for the 31st Annual International Conference and Festival of Blacks in Dance of any genre and discipline for the conference and festival, with content that corresponds to the conference call and theme. This year’s conference and festival theme is Etched in Stone: Resilient Through Time.
Please make sure you meet the following performance requirements:
1. Membership with IABD is required for two (2) consecutive years; and, at least three (3) years of professional performance experience.
2. Complete contact information (name, title, mailing/email address, and telephone number)
3. Resume/CV and bio with individual name or group name
4. A brief description of the proposed work
5. Time Length for performance presentations:
a. 5 MINUTES - Youth Company
b. 6 MINUTES - College Company/Individual Member
c. 8 MINUTES - Company/Individual Member
6. Music (Please be advised that you will need to obtain required permission and licensing. IABD nor Dayton Contemporary Dance Company (DCDC) is responsible for such permissions.)
7. Any special technical requirements are the responsibility of the dance company.
8. The Performance Fee is $125 in US Dollars. Payment of the Performance Fee is due upon successful notification and confirmation by the selected organization and is due at that time.
9. Please include a link of the work to be presented or upload your choreography.
10. If your performance requires additional instruments of any type, your organization is financially responsible for the rental. IABD nor DCDC will assume any cost. Also, by accepting this opportunity you understand that you are volunteering your services. There will be no exchange of payment for your participation.
IABD/DCDC reserve the right to accept applications based on appropriateness to the event, IABD/DCDC’s image, and its audience. Only submit completed work.
IABD/DCDC make every effort to provide a safe performance venue. However, IABD/DCDC will assume no responsibility for injury during performances as well as acts of nature. You are responsible for providing your own special effects (fog machines, hazers, etc.).
DEADLINE FOR PERFORMANCE SUBMISSION: April 30, 2018
CONFIRMATIONS SENT: May 11, 2018
Click Here to Apply for the International Call for Performances