Coalition for Diasporan Scholars Moving (CDSM)
Manifesto and Mission Statement
As movement researchers and performing scholars of the African Diaspora, we have all experienced instances of either outright discrimination or micro-aggression by the professional and academic dance communities. CDSM is our response to millennial-style racism in our supposed post-racist era. Like those involved in the Civil Rights Movement of the mid-20th century, we are resolved to be proactive. Our fledgling organization is creating a database, disseminating our Mission Statement, and gathering resources (including legal counsel). We welcome new members from across the Diaspora as we extend our base. A voluntary, not for profit coalition of concerned dancer/scholars, we do not collect dues or elect officers. We are a service organization, ready to “trouble the waters” in order to embrace our future fully and fairly.
- To offer strategic advice for Diasporan scholars and movement artists in academic settings
- To maintain a database for networking and announcements
- To configure an organized process of pairing mentors and mentees in times of growth and crisis
- To serve as an accessible hub for national/international collaboration and partnering for efficient processes of sharing resources and social capital
- To serve as a medium through which members can share experiences and advice, discuss best practices, and offer support.
The CDSM Ambassadorship program is designed to give dance scholars and movement researchers facing discrimination or subversive, exclusionary tactics in the academic or dance community with an opportunity to connect with and get advice from an experienced practitioner in the field. The program guarantees participants with one conversation a year.
Our Newsletter, The CDSM Sentinel, is in and attached! Take some time with the wealth of information collected for you and let us know your thoughts. We look forward to more engaging dialogue, gathering resources, and facilitating mentor connections.
CDSM_Sentinel-Winter-2014 (Click to Download PDF file)
CDSM_Sentinel-Fall-2013 (Click to Download PDF file)
CDSM_Sentinel-Spring-2013 (Click to Download PDF file)
We can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.